This homemade vegetable soup recipe is filled with chunky vegetables, pearl barley, kale and Parmesan. Warming, hearty and full of flavour!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 75 grams pearl barley
- 2 leeks, outer leaves removed then sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 turnips, peeled and diced
- 1/4 celeriac, peeled and diced
- 180 millilitres white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 litres boiled water
- 25 grams Parmesan cheese
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the pearl barley in a sieve until the water runs clear. Add to a saucepan with enough boiled water to cover the barley, then boil for 10 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan or casserole pot, heat the olive oil to a medium heat. Saute the sliced leeks for 3-4 minutes until softened, but not coloured.
- Add the parsnip, turnip and celeriac to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the wine into the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the bay leaves.
- Drain the pearl barley and discard the cooking water, then add it to the vegetable pot with 1.5 litres of boiling water. Allow the mixture to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add in the kale and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Test the pearl barley and vegetables to make sure they are cooked through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Once everything is incorporated taste the broth and add salt as required.
- Serve in bowls with thick slices of buttered bread. Enjoy!
Keywords: Winter Soup, Pearl Barley Soup, Winter Vegetable Soup, Vegetable Broth, Vegetable Soup