This crunchy Winter salad recipe is full of beetroot, kale, watercress and apple. Then topped with slices of honey glazed duck breast and honeyed walnuts. Delicious!
- 1 large duck breast, skin on (approximately 150-200 grams)
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 apple, cut into 8 wedges and core removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus 1 teaspoon for the dressing
- 40 grams kale, shredded
- 40 grams watercress
- 1 beetroot, thinly sliced, using a mandolin if you have one
- 20 grams walnuts, chopped
- Make sure all of your vegetables are prepped before you start, so you can focus on cooking the duck breast to perfection.
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Using a sharp knife score the duck skin, being careful not to cut down to the flesh, then season with salt. Add the duck to a cold ovenproof frying pan (such as a cast iron skillet), skin side down (see notes). Turn the heat onto medium and leave the duck to cook for 7-10 minutes. This allows more fat to render out from the skin.
- In a second frying pan heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil on to medium-low heat. Fry the apple wedges for 4-5 minutes on each side until they become golden brown and have softened. When done, set aside until ready to plate.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the sherry vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, pepper and a pinch of salt. Whisk together then set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Check your duck skin: if it is not crispy enough turn up the heat and cook for another 1-2 minutes until it is golden brown. Then flip the duck breast and cook for another 1 minute until all of the flesh is seared. Drain off any excess fat (save for roast potatoes!). Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of honey onto the duck breast skin, then transfer to the oven to continue cooking.
- For rare: cook for 3-4 minutes.
- For medium: cook for 5-7 minutes.
- For well done: cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the duck breast from the oven and baste with the honey and any pan juices. Transfer the duck breast to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- In the same pan that you cooked the duck in add the chopped walnuts and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of honey and place over a medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the walnuts are coated in honey. Turn off the heat.
- Once the duck has rested, thinly slice it.
- Toss the kale and watercress in the dressing before beginning to plate up.
- To plate up: layer slices of beetroot on to two plates, then top with a handful of the dressed kale and watercress. Add 4 apple wedges to each plate then dived the slices of duck breast between the two plates. Sprinkle the walnuts on top then drizzle any excess dressing around the side. Et voila! Enjoy!
Keywords: Winter Salad Recipe, Winter Salad, Duck Breast, Pan-Fried Duck Breast,