These stuffed mushroom caps are a great vegetarian weeknight dinner. Filled with leeks, walnuts, mushroom, parsley, breadcrumbs and parmesan they’re full of flavour and easy to make.
- 7 portobello mushrooms, cleaned with kitchen paper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, diced
- 50 grams walnuts, chopped
- 40 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 20 grams parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 grams parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Remove the stems from 6 of the mushrooms (save them for later) and add them, gills side down, to a roasting dish. Brush the tops with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Pop into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in a cast iron frying pan.
- Chop the mushroom stems and the remaining mushroom into chunks. Add it to your frying pan along with the leeks and cook for 5-7 minutes until the leeks have softened. Add in the walnuts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the leeks and mushrooms cook, mix the panko, parmesan and 1 tablespoon of oil together in a bowl, ensuring the oil is evenly distributed throughout.
- After 5 minutes remove the leek mixture from the heat. Stir in the mustard powder, parsley, lemon juice and two-thirds of the breadcrumb and parmesan into the leeks, taste and season with salt and pepper as required. Keep the remaining breadcrumbs aside for sprinkling on top later.
- When the mushrooms are done remove them from the oven and flip them over so the gills are facing upwards. Divide the leek stuffing equally between the 6 mushrooms then sprinkle over the remaining breadcrumbs over the mushrooms.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Enjoy!
Keywords: Stuffed Mushrooms, Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Mushroom Caps, Vegetarian Dinner