This healthy broccoli soup recipe is full of flavour with added miso, garlic, ginger and basil. And it’s suitable for vegans too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, minced
- 1 head of broccoli (approximately 350g), florets separated and stalk thinly sliced
- 1.2 liters of water, boiled
- 2 tablespoons of miso paste
- 200 grams of frozen edamame beans
- 25 grams of basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A drizzle of coconut milk/yoghurt
- Sesame seeds
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Lime juice
- In a large saucepan or crock pot heat the oil over a medium heat. Add in the sliced onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Then add in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli stalks (not the florets) and saute for 2-3 minutes until the begin to soften slightly.
- Pour in the boiled water and stir in the miso paste until it fully dissolves. Bring the water to a gentle simmer.
- To the saucepan add the broccoli florets and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Then add the edamame beans and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender turn off the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
- Using either a hand held immersion blender or a stand alone blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add the juice of the lime then taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with any desired toppings.
- If using unfrozen edamame beans, you may want to reduce the cooking time of the beans by 1-2 minutes.
Keywords: Broccoli Soup Recipe, Vegan Broccoli Soup, Healthy Broccoli Soup