This Vegan Broccoli Soup recipe has everything you need on a cold January day. Flavoured with miso, ginger and basil this broccoli soup is light and refreshing, while also containing edamame beans for extra protein. Plus it can be ready in just 30 minutes for a speedy vegan meal!
Elizabeth Chloe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Well, it has been a while hasn’t it guys! I apologise for being a little bit quiet over the past few months. Life has been, well, there are no words. Blogging has had to take a bit of a back seat, but now that we’ve entered 2019 I’m coming back
How is everyone finding 2019 so far? Did you make lots of resolutions or are you completely against the idea? For me, instead of making set resolutions I’ve picked a focus for the year. And that focus is this blog! Over the year I’ll be working hard to provide you with lots of tasty recipes and to build on what I created in 2018. Please let me know if you have any feedback!
So, back to this Broccoli Soup! I don’t know about you guys, but since Christmas I kind of feel like Jabba the Hutt, writhing around with my body trying to digest the excessive amount of food and drink it’s consumed. And I’m not complaining – it was glorious. But I’m kind of ready now to reacquaint myself with some veggies. And this soup does the trick.
This isn’t just any Broccoli Soup – oh no. While b
How to make Broccoli Soup…
This broccoli soup recipe is both easy and quick to make.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli stalks to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add 1.2 litres of water to the pan with the miso paste and allow it to dissolve, then bring the liquid to a boil.
- Carefully tip the broccoli florets into the saucepan, bring the liquid down to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the edamame beans to the pan and cook for another three minutes. Then add the basil to the pan before turning off the heat.
- Use a hand blender to blend the soup OR ladle the soup into a blender to blend.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as required before ladling into bowls and adding any desired toppings.
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe with Miso and Edamame FAQ
Leave the soup to cool at room temperature for no more than two hours. Transfer to an air-tight container and leave in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Once cooled, transfer the soup to a freezer-safe container and pop into the freezer. Eat the soup within 3-4 months.
To defrost the soup move the container from the freezer to the fridge and leave it there to thaw. This can take up to 24 hours. Alternatively, you can use the defrost setting on your microwave to thaw the soup.
Transfer the soup into a saucepan and place onto the stove. Heat over a medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Ensure the soup is piping hot before serving. Alternatively, reheat the soup in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Cooking times will vary depending on the microwave itself. Ensure the soup is piping hot before it is served, if it is not microwave for a little longer.
Other vegan recipes you might enjoy…
- Moroccan Vegetable Tagine Recipe
- Simple Tadka Dal Recipe with Butternut Squash
- Spiced Squash, Celeriac and Apple Soup
- Vietnamese Pesto Noodles
- Instant Pot Cauliflower and Butternut Thai Curry from Oh She Glows
Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe with Miso and Edamame
Let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a rating and a comment!
You can also follow over on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter. Come and say hi and hashtag any recipe snaps with #elizabethchloerecipes.
For a weekly update of new recipes and blog posts, you can subscribe to the
This healthy broccoli soup recipe is full of flavour with added miso, garlic, ginger and basil. And it’s suitable for vegans too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, minced
- 1 head of broccoli (approximately 350g), florets separated and stalk thinly sliced
- 1.2 litres of water, boiled
- 2 tablespoons of miso paste
- 200 grams of frozen edamame beans
- 25 grams of basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A drizzle of coconut milk/yoghurt
- Sesame seeds
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Lime juice
- In a large saucepan or crock pot heat the oil over a medium heat. Add in the sliced onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Then add in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli stalks (not the florets) and saute for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften slightly.
- Pour in the boiled water and stir in the miso paste until it fully dissolves. Bring the water to a gentle simmer.
- To the saucepan add the broccoli florets and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Then add the edamame beans and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender, turn off the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
- Using either a hand blender or a stand-alone blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add the juice of the lime then taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with any desired toppings.
- If using unfrozen edamame beans, you may want to reduce the cooking time of the beans by 1-2 minutes.
Keywords: Broccoli Soup Recipe, Vegan Broccoli Soup, Healthy Broccoli Soup
Update Information: New affiliate links and FAQ