This Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Celeriac and Apple is the epitome of autumn. Flavoured with sage, nutmeg and a little chilli, this simple soup recipe will warm you up on even the coldest evenings. It is ready in just 40 minutes and is ideal for cooking in big batches and freezing so you always have some soup on hand!
Elizabeth Chloe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Does anything scream Autumn more than soup? I think not. And this spiced butternut squash soup with celeriac and apple is the epitome of Autumn. Grab your woolly hat and fluffy socks and get comfy for this one.
As you can probably tell from the name, this soup goes all in with seasonal ingredients. Not only have we got the obvious butternut squash, celeriac and apple but there is also some dried sage and nutmeg (plus a little bit of dried chili if that’s your thing) which adds a wonderful warmth and depth of flavour. It is a literal hug in a mug. Or bowl. Or whatever bit of crockery you’ve got on hand.
How to make butternut squash soup
- Start by sauteing onions until soft.
- Add your butternut squash and any other vegg you wish to use, in this case celeriac and apple, plus spices and stock. Bring to the boil then let it simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Turn off the heat.
- Puree all of the vegetables and stock with a blender or hand blender until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with crusty bread and lashings of butter.
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Celeriac and Apple FAQ
Leave the soup to cool at room temperature for no more than two hours. Transfer the butternut squash soup into an air-tight Tupperware container and pop into the fridge. Consume within 3-4 days.
Transfer the soup to a saucepan and heat over a medium heat on the stove. Allow the soup to simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Alternatively, you can reheat the soup in the microwave. Transfer it to a microwave safe container and heat for 2-3 minutes on full power, stirring halfway through. Ensure the soup is piping hot before consuming. If it is not, heat for a few more minutes.
Transfer the butternut squash soup to a freezer-safe container and put it into the freezer, where it can stay for up to 6 months. This is a great recipe to freeze in individual portions so you can grab one for a last-minute lunch.
To defrost the soup transfer it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw overnight. This can take up to 24 hours. To defrost the soup in a shorter amount of time you could use the defrost setting on your microwave.
While garnishes aren’t 100% necessary they can add different flavours and textures to soup to make it really interesting. For this
🥛 A swirl of yoghurt, cream or creme fraiche
🍏 Chopped apple
🌶 Chilli flakes
🌰 A sprinkle of nutmeg
🥓 Chopped crispy bacon
Other soup recipes you will love…
- Simple Tadka Dal Recipe with Butternut Squash
- Winter Vegetable Soup with Barley and Parmesan
- Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe with Edamame and Miso
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup from Gimme Some Oven
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Celeriac and Apple
Let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a rating and a comment!
You can also follow over on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter. Come and say hi and hashtag any recipe snaps with #elizabethchloerecipes.
For a weekly update of new recipes and blog posts, you can subscribe to the
This Autumnal Soup recipe is filled with seasonal butternut squash, celeriac, apple and spices. It is creamy, comforting and vegan too!
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 500g celeriac, peeled and diced
- 2 apples (i use Granny Smiths), peeled and diced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1–2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Diced apple
- A drizzle of yoghurt or creme fraiche
- A sprinkle of chilli flakes
- Heat a large saucepan or casserole pot to a medium-low heat. Add the onions and saute for 8-10 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the squash, celeriac, apples, stock, and spices. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a blender or hand blender puree the soup until you reach your desired consistency.
- Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your desired toppings and a slice of bread and enjoy!
Keywords: Vegetable soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Celeriac Soup, Butternut Squash and Celeriac Soup, Apple Soup, Autumn Soup
You may also need…Originally Published:
Update Information: New FAQ added.