Does anything scream Autumn more than soup? I think not. And this soup is the epitome of Autumn. Grab your woolly hat and fluffy socks and get comfy for this one.
As you can probably tell from the name, this soup goes all in with seasonal ingredients. Not only have we got the obvious butternut squash, celeriac and apple but there is also some dried sage and nutmeg (plus a little bit of dried chili if that’s your thing) which adds a wonderful warmth and depth of flavour. It is a literal hug in a mug. Or bowl. Or whatever bit of crockery you’ve got on hand.
How to make soup
Soup is so easy to make. I start by sauteing some onions, then add your veggies, spices and stock and let it cook until the vegetables are tender. Puree all of the vegetables and stock with a blender or hand blender until you reach your desired consistency.
And there you go, hot soup that is ready to fix all of your problems. Serve it with some bread (because those are the rules) and maybe wear some fluffy socks to really get into the season.
Can soup be frozen?
Yes! This is an ideal recipe for freezing. Once your soup has cooled add it to freezer friendly tupperware or freezer bags and pop it in. I like to freeze it in individual portions so I can grab one for a last minute lunch.
If you like this recipe you might also like…
If you try this recipe please let me know by leaving a rating and a comment!Print
This Autumnal Soup recipe is filled with seasonal butternut squash, celeriac, apple and spices. It is creamy, comforting and vegan too!
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 500g celeriac, peeled and diced
- 2 apples (i use Granny Smiths), peeled and diced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp dried chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Diced apple
- A drizzle of yogurt or creme fraiche
- A sprinkle of chilli flakes
- Heat a large saucepan or crock pot to a medium-low heat. Add the onions and saute for 8-10 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the squash, celeriac, apples, stock, and spices. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a blender or hand blender puree the soup until you reach your desired consistency.
- Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your desired toppings and a slice of bread and enjoy!
Keywords: Vegetable soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Celeriac Soup, Butternut Squash and Celeriac Soup, Apple Soup, Autumn Soup