Do you know what makes veggies better? Roasting them. You can’t argue with me on this one. You get caramelisation, added sweetness, more intense flavour and not to mention they go with just about anything. That includes pasta, which is what I have got for you right here; Slow Roast Pepper and Tomato Pasta.
The roasted veggies are kind the showstopper of this meal. And it’s not just peppers and tomatoes. Heres how it all works: we first layer shallots and garlic on the bottom of the roasting dish with salt, pepper, olive oil and a few sprigs of thyme. On top of that we layer the peppers and tomatoes with a little bit more salt, pepper, olive oil and thyme. Pop it in the oven and let the magic happen. The juices released from the peppers and tomatoes fall to the bottom of the pan, they mix with the oil and they also kind braise the shallots and garlic, stopping them from burning. Those juices and oils also create an incredible little sauce to go with our pasta. Roasted veggies 🙌 amiright?
For this meal we’ve mixed those roasted veggies in with some wholewheat pasta, broccoli, basil and goats cheese. And trust me when I say that it is SO good. But these roast veggies are pretty versatile. You could mix them in with any grains, add them to salads, maybe even blend it all into a soup with some veggie stock? So many options. I’m currently fantasising about thick slices of toasted sourdough with a layer of goats cheese and these roasted veggies on top *bites lip*.
While there are many things I love about this dish my favourite has to be the smell of roasting peppers, tomatoes, onions and garlic that wafts through the house. It is an absolute DREAAAMM. That, and it’s also super simple. Like, pop them in the oven and go about your day being domestic (or binge some netflix 🙋♀️) until they’re ready. Cook a bit of pasta and broccoli and mix it all together. Any leftovers are ideal for lunchboxes. Job done guys.
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a comment, I’d love to know what you think!Print
A simple pasta recipe full of slow roasted peppers, tomatoes garlic and shallots. A perfect weeknight meal!
- 200g shallots, skin removed and cut into quaters
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 peppers (red, orange and yellow), stem and seeds removed then cut into sixths
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- A few springs of thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200g pasta
- 150g tenderstem brocoli, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 50g goats cheese
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Pre-heat your over to 180ºc
- Lay the shallots, garlic, half the thyme, 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in the bottom of a roasting dish or oven-proof skillet. Then add the slices of pepper, tomatoes, the remaining thyme, oil and salt and pepper on top. Roast everything in the oven for one hour. The veggies are done when the skins have blistered and taken on colour.
- When the vegetables are nearly done cook your pasta as per the packet instructions. In the last 4-5 minutes of cooking add the broccoli to the saucepan to cook.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli, reserving 3 tablespoons of pasta water.
- Combine all of the vegetables including their juices with the pasta and broccoli and a squeeze of lemon juice. Test for seasoning.
- Serve the pasta in bowls with goats cheese on top. Alternatively you can stir the goats cheese into the pasta before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Roast tomatoes, roast peppers, pepper pasta, vegetarian dinners, meatless Monday