This sausage and bean casserole is packed with veggies to make it extra nutritious as well as extra tasty! Sausages, chorizo, beans, squash and spinach are cooked in a tomato sauce that is spiked with paprika, saffron, rosemary and bay. Delicious!
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 200 grams chorizo, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 150 grams butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tin of butterbeans or cannellini beans, liquid drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 millilitres chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 200 grams of fresh spinach
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole pot. Add the sausages and cook, turning regularly, for 5-7 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate and once cooled, slice them into 4-5 pieces.
- Add the chorizo to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it has browned and released some of it’s fat. Remove the chorizo to a plate but keep the oil in the pot. If you wish to, you can discard some of the fat to reduce the fat content, but leave a little to cook the onions.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for approximately 5 minutes until it has softened, then add in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the squash, beans, tinned tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, paprika, saffron and sausages back into the pot. Bring everything up to a boil and the reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Stir the spinach into the casserole then taste add season with salt and pepper as required.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread!
How to make sausage casserole in a slow cooker:
Brown the sausages and chorizo in a pan before adding them to the slow cooker. If you’ve got time, soften the onions before adding them to the slow cooker too, otherwise, add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker except for the spinach. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. You may need to take the lid off and cook on high for the last hour to reduce and thicken the sauce. Stir the spinach in at the end.
Keywords: sausage casserole, sausage and bean casserole, casserole recipe, comfort food, sausage casserole slow cooker,