Roasted veggies. Creamy feta. Crunchy pine nuts. And allllll the grains. YOU ARE WELCOME.
But in all seriousness this roasted vegetables, feta and grains dish is just the bomb. It is a firm favourite in our house and we have it at least weekly. There’s something very satisfying about roasted veg. It’s super healthy and definitely helps you tick off a few of your five-a-day, without making you feel like you’re eating rabbit food (no offence bunnies).
This dish is full of summer seasonal veggies, including courgette, aubergine, pepper and tomatoes meaning they’re easy to get a hold of at the moment AND a little bit cheaper. Plus they are just SO tasty this time of year you would be doing yourself a disservice not trying this recipe! You can eat it cold and double it up and you’ve got yourself extras for lunch the following day too. OR you can change things up and try it with different vegetables and grains. I use Merchant Gourmet’s Glorious Grains Sachets (I promise I’m not sponsored by Merchant Gourmet, I just love how easy and tasty those little sachets are), but you could use anything you fancy, couscous, rice, buckwheat, faro etc. Whatever you can get your hands on.
Top Tips: Roasting Vegetables
- Make sure your oven is good and hot before you put anything in the oven. 200ºC – 220ºC is ideal.
- Don’t be afraid of oil! Making sure everything has a coating of oil is going to help things get crispy and roasty and TASTY.
- Make sure your vegetables have plenty of space around them to roast properly. If you tray is overcrowded your veggies are more likely to steam than roast meaning things will be soggy and you won’t have that tasty char we want on roasted veg. If things get crowded use two trays to spread all those veggies out.
- Certain vegetables will take longer than others. Hard veggies (squash, carrots, potatoes, swede, beetroot etc) will need longer than softer veggies (courgette, peppers, aubergine etc).
- Similarly, the size you chop things into will affect how long things take to cook. A larger chop will take longer than smaller.
- Keep an eye on things! If certain vegetables are roasting quicker than others, you can always remove some a little early to allow the rest to roast to perfection, then just chuck them back in at the end to warm through.
If you try this Roasted Vegetables, Feta and Grains recipe or have any questions let me know in the comments!Print
Roasted vegetables, creamy feta cheese, wholegrains and pine nuts are combined to make this healthy, one pan recipe!
- 1 aubergine, in 1cm slices
- 1 courgette, in 1cm slices
- 1 red pepper, in 1cm slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 sachet of Merchant Gourmet Glorious Grains
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100g feta cheese
- 50g pine nuts
- Heat your oven up to 180ºc.
- Toss the aubergine, courgette and red pepper with the olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Spread the vegetables out evenly in a roasting dish and pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, add in the cherry tomatoes and toss everything together. Return the dish to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add the grains and lemon juice to the roasting dish and mix them in with the roast vegetables. Sprinkle the feta and pine nuts on top and return the pan to the oven for a final 5 minutes to heat the grains, feta and pine nuts through. Serve up and enjoy!
Keywords: Roasted Vegetables, Mediterranean Recipes, Wholegrain Recipes, Vegetarian Dinners, Vegetarian Recipes