This roasted pepper and aubergine bake recipe layers roasted aubergine and roasted pepper with a spicy harissa tomato sauce, creamy feta cheese and crispy breadcrumbs! Roasted pepper and aubergine bake is an easy vegetarian dinner that can be made as a simple weeknight meal or as something special for a weekend dinner party.
Elizabeth Chloe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Summer? Is that you I heard calling?
Nearly, but not quite ☹️ It’s still super grey and rainy where I am, a complete contrast to the scorching hot April and May we had. But on the bright side more and more Summer produce is coming into supermarkets! So I think Summer might be just around the corner. Maybe? Hopefully.
This Roasted Pepper and Aubergine Bake recipe uses some of my favourite Summer vegetables, aubergine, peppers, and tomatoes, and combines them with spicy harissa and creamy feta cheese. As well as some breadcrumbs on top that go all crispy, crunchy when baked (I mean, LOOK AT THEM).
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it looks and tastes a lot fancier than it is!? We’re combining a handful of fresh ingredients with all your favourite store cupboard staples. All you need to do is roasted veggies, make your sauce, and layer it all up and BAKE. It couldn’t be simpler!
Harissa paste itself is a combination of chilli peppers and spices, making it spicy and fragrant. It adds tonnes of flavour with little effort on your part – win! Add as much or as little as you like, depending on how much heat you can take!
How To Make Roasted Pepper and Aubergine Bake
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Roast your veggies
Layer your aubergine and pepper on a baking tray and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, turning half way, until they are tender.
- Make your sauce
While the veggies are roasting, make your harissa tomato sauce. Fry red onion and garlic until soft. The add in tinned tomatoes, harissa pasta, sugar and red wine vinegar. Simmer the sauce until it has thickened, then stir in some fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the veg from the oven.
When the pepper and aubergine are cooked through and have taken on colour, remove them from the oven. Then get ready to layer it all up!
- Layer it!
Layer half the aubergine along the bottom of a baking tray, then layer half the pepper and spread over half the tomato harissa sauce. Then repeat! Layer the remaining aubergine, pepper and sauce to the baking tray.
- Top it off
Crumble feta cheese on top and sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs. Then head to the oven!
- Bake it!
Bake the roasted pepper and aubergine bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, until the cheese and breadcrumbs are golden brown and crunchy. Et voila!
Roasted Pepper and Aubergine Bake FAQ
Once the bake is cooked, allow it to cool to room temperature for no more than 2 hours. Divide the aubergine bake into portions and transfer to Tupperware containers. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This aubergine bake is best served fresh, but it can be frozen. Follow the instructions for storing above, then transfer into the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw, remove the containers from the freezer and transfer them to the fridge to thaw over 24 hours. Alternatively, you can use the defrost setting on your microwave to thaw the aubergine bake.
In the oven: transfer the aubergine bake into a small baking dish and cover with tin foil. Cook in the oven (180 degrees centigrade) for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook for a further five minutes until the breadcrumbs have crisped up. Ensure it is piping all the way through before eating.
In the microwave: transfer the aubergine and pepper bake into a microwave safe container. Microwave on high heat for 3-4 minutes until it is piping hot all the way through. Cooking time will vary between microwaves.
A simple green salad goes really well with this aubergine and pepper bake! I also like soft bread to mop up any juices. You could also serve it alongside any steamed green vegetables you enjoy.
Yes! Simply omit the feta cheese and add extra breadcrumbs for a really crunchy topping. Alternatively you could swap the feta cheese for vegan cheese instead.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
- Slow Roast Pepper and Tomato Pasta
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables with Mixed Grains and Feta
- Herb and Lemon Risotto with Roasted Tomatoes
- Healthy Aubergine Parmigiana from Olive Magazine
Roasted Pepper & Aubergine Bake with Feta & Harissa
Let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a rating and a comment!
You can also follow over on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter. Come and say hi and hashtag any recipe snaps with #elizabethchloerecipes.
For a weekly update of new recipes and blog posts, you can subscribe to the
Roasted pepper and roasted aubergine are layered with a spicy harissa tomato sauce and then topped with feta cheese and crunchy breadcrumbs, for a super simple vegetarian dinner that is oh, so tasty!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large red peppers, seeds and stem removed then sliced into wedges
- 3 aubergine, stem removed then cut into 1cm rounds
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2–3 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful chopped parsley
- 150 grams feta, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Green salad
- Steamed greens
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Toss the aubergine and pepper slices with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Layer the aubergine and pepper in a single layer onto a baking tray (you may need more than one tray) then place them in the oven for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway, until tender and have taken on some colour.
- To make the sauce, begin by heating the remaining tablespoon of oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Saute the onion for 5-7 minutes until it has softened, then add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, harissa paste, red wine vinegar and sugar to the saucepan and stir everything to combine. Simmer the sauce for approximately 20 minutes, until it has thickened up.
- Once both the roasted vegetables and the tomato sauce are done grab a 12-inch baking dish and begin to layer it up! Layer half the aubergine in the bottom of the tray, then layer half the roasted pepper on top of that. Spread half the tomato sauce on the pepper before repeating the aubergine, pepper and sauce layer. Top the bake with the crumbled feta cheese and sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
- Cook the aubergine bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and crunchy. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: aubergine bake, pepper and aubergine bake, feta bake, vegetarian bake, vegetarian dinner, vegetarian recipe
SHOP THIS RECIPE…Originally Published: