Your ideal meatless Monday meal; roast butternut squash, couscous, lentils and kale topped with raisin pesto and crumbled feta. Delicious!
- 1 butternut squash, seeds removed and cut into 1cm wedge
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 100g wholewheat giant couscous (I use Merchant Gourmet Wholewheat Giant Couscous)
- 250g cooked Puy Lentils (I use Merchant Gourmet Ready to Eat Puy Lentils)
- 50g cavolo nero or kale
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 60g feta cheese
For the raisin pesto:
- 25g mint
- 15g parsley
- 2 tbsp raisins
- A pinch salt
- 110mls olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- A squeeze lemon juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC.
- On a baking tray toss the butternut squash wedges with the oil, spices and seasoning until the squash is evenly coated with the spices. Spread the wedges on the baking tray in a single layer. Pop it into the oven for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To make the pesto add all of the ingredients to a blender and puree for up to a minute until you have a smooth sauce. Leave aside until you are ready to serve.
- Halfway through cooking the squash start to cook the couscous. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and add the couscous. Toast the grains for 2-3 minutes until they develop a golden brown colour. Then add 200mls cold water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until the water as absorbed and the grains are cooked through.
- Add the lentils to the saucepan with the couscous, along with 2 tablespoons of water. Place the kale on top of the couscous and lentils and cover the pan with a lid. Let the kale steam for 3-4 minutes, until just wilted. Add a squeeze of lemon and stir everything in.
- To serve, add the couscous, lentils and kale to a bowl, top with the butternut squash wedges, crumbled feta and a drizzle of the pesto. Enjoy!
- If you use small grain couscous skip toasting it and cook as per packet instructions. Warm the lentils and kale separately then stir everything together at the end.
Keywords: Roast Butternut Squash, Raisin Pesto, Meatless Monday, Vegetarian Dinners