This simple pearl barley risotto is full of fresh Spring vegetables and flavours! It is easy to throw together and doesn’t require a lot of elbow grease, plus is lighter than the rice version – what’s not to love!
- A knob of butter or 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 200 grams (1 cup) pearl barley, dried
- 125 milliliters (1/2 cup) white wine
- 1.25 liters (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 100 grams asparagus, cut into quarters
- 150 grams peas, fresh or frozen
- 100 grams spring greens
- 20 grams (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a casserole pot heat the butter or oil over a medium heat. Saute the sliced leeks for 5 minutes until they have softened.
- Add the pearl barley to the pot and stir to combine. Pour in the white wine and cook for around 5 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and the alcohol has cooked out.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot. Stir everything to combine and leave to simmer for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pearl barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. If the mixture begins to dry out, add a little water. The final consistency should creamy and a little loose. If the mixture is too wet, cook for a few more minutes until more of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir the asparagus, peas and spring greens into the risotto and cook for 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is just tender.
- Add the parmesan, lemon juice and chives. Stir to combine then taste. Add salt and pepper as required. Serve in bowls with grated parmesan and a sprinkle of chopped chives. Enjoy!
Keywords: Risotto, Pearl Barley Risotto, Pearl Barley Recipe, Barley Risotto, Spring Vegetable Risotto, Asparagus Risotto