The peanut sauce that accompanies this dish is also a marinade for the tofu. Plus there’s a quick pickled red cabbage for extra crunch!
For the Peanut Tofu and Peanut Sauce
- 240 g firm tofu
- 4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (I use Whole Earth Crunchy Peanut Butter)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
For the quick pickled cabbage
- 150 g red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
For the noodle bowl
- 100 g soba noodles (I use King Soba 100% Buckwheat noodles)
- 1 bok choi, cut in half (or sliced into strips to make it easier to eat later)
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Sliced red chilli
- Sliced spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped peanuts
- Prepare your tofu: Slice your tofu in half and lay it on several pieces of kitchen paper or a clean tea towel then place further kitchen paper or another clean tea towel on top of the tofu. Place a flat surface, such as a chopping board or flat plate, on top of the tofu along with a light weight (I use a few tin cans). This helps drain water from the tofu. Leave the tofu to drain for 10 minutes while you make the peanut sauce.
- Prepare the peanut sauce: Make the peanut sauce by adding all of the ingredients into a bowl with 2 tablespoons of warm water. Whisk everything together until it is fully incorporated.
- Marinate the tofu: Once the tofu has drained discard your kitchen paper or tea towel and slice the tofu into 1 cm cubes. Dip each cube into the peanut sauce and leave on a plate to marinade for 10 minutes (or more if you have the time).
- Prepare your quick pickled cabbage: Place the sliced cabbage into a bowl with the vinegar, sugar and salt. Use your hands to scrunch everything together – the salt and sugar along with the scrunching help break down the cabbage a little bit and it begins to release some juice. Do this for 1-2 minutes then set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Cook the tofu: Heat a frying pan on a medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add the tofu to the pan and cook for 30 seconds to one minute on each side until it is golden brown on the outside. You may want to cook the tofu in batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook your noodles and veggies: Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add your noodles and cook as per packet instructions. In the last minute of cooking add the bok choi and bean sprouts and cook for one minute until the veggies are tender. Drain the noodles, bok choi and beansprout.
- To serve: Add the noodles to bowls with the bok choi, bean sprouts, red pepper, tofu and red cabbage. Top with a drizzle of the peanut sauce and any other toppings you fancy. Enjoy!
Keywords: Noodle bowl, Buddha Bowl, Vegan Buddha Bowl, Tofu Noodle Bowl