This Pea and Asparagus Risotto with Bacon is a super simple Spring/Summer recipe that packs in lots of fresh flavours!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 200 grams bacon lardons
- 1 leek, ends removed and diced
- 250 grams arborio rice
- 150 millilitres white wine
- 800 millilitres vegetable or chicken stock (see note)
- 200 grams fresh or frozen peas
- 200 grams asparagus spears, woody ends removed and sliced into 1cm
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 grams chives, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50 grams parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole pot to a medium-high heat, then fry the bacon lardons for 5 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Turn the heat down to a medium-low, then saute the leeks for 5-7 minutes until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the risotto rice to the pan and cook for 1 minute, ensuring the rice grains are coated in the oil.
- Pour the white wine into the pan and cook down until it has reduced to almost nothing.
- Heat your stock in a separate saucepan until it is hot but not simmering or boiling.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock to the risotto, stir regularly to encourage the starch to be released from the rice. When the stock has been absorbed by the rice, add another ladleful of stock and stir. Repeat this process until the rice is almost cooked through – this takes around 20-25 minutes.
- Once the rice is almost done, add the asparagus and peas to the risotto along with another ladleful of stock. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Turn off the heat then stir in the butter, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and chives.
- Taste the risotto and add salt and lots of pepper as desired.
- Garnish with chopped chives and grated parmesan. Serve and enjoy!
- You may need slightly more liquid than is listed. It will depend on the rice you are using, the pan you are using and the heat of your pot. If you run out of stock, you can use water from a freshly boiled kettle to add to the risotto.
Keywords: asparagus risotto, pea risotto, bacon risotto, asparagus and pea risotto, easy risotto recipe, simple risotto recipe,