Filled with vegetables, this vegan spaghetti bolognese is rich, healthy and of course, tasty!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 300g button mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250mls red wine, vegan if required
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500mls vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 400g tin green lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 270 g dried spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese (vegan, veggie or normal)
- Heat a large saucepan to a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chopped carrot, celery and onion to the pan. Saute for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and are beginning to turn translucent.
- Throw in the mushrooms and saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have released some of their water, then add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and soy sauce, bring to a boil and the reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the tomato puree and stir it in then add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and bay leaves. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the lentils and cook for a further 5 minutes to warm through. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- Serve the spaghetti in a bowl topped with spoonfuls of the bolognese sauce. Top with Parmesan and enjoy!
Keywords: Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegan Pasta Recipe