To me, nothing screams nostalgia like spaghetti bolognese. It is a dish my mum made time and time again when I was a child, and it was (and still is) absolutely delicious. And lucky for me, she taught me how to cook it.
Over time I’ve tweaked this recipe a little and more recently I’ve made probably the biggest change… it is now veggie. Bah bah baaaaaam. Instead of beef mince we’ve now got lentils and extra mushrooms all surrounded by a rich, red wine based tomatoey sauce. Ermmm…. YUM.
Because this doesn’t have any meat in it I decided to add a little somethin, somethin to help add a little extra depth of flavour. And that something is a little soy sauce. I know, groundbreaking I hear you say. But it brings a savoriness and a saltiness to the recipe as well as that umami flavour you would normally get from meat. It’s a simple addition that adds big flavour.
Can I freeze Spaghetti Bolognese?
You can definitely freeze the bolognese sauce. Wait until it has cooled, add it to freezer safe tupperware or freezer bags and pop it in the freezer! To defrost it leave it in the fridge overnight and reheat in a microwave or saucepan until its piping through.
As for the pasta, it can be frozen, but I would suggest you cooked some dried pasta as and when you need it to ensure its cooked through and the right texture.
If you like this recipe you might also like…
If you try this recipe please let me know by leaving a comment and a rating!Print
Filled with vegetables, this vegan spaghetti bolognese is rich, healthy and of course, tasty!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 300g button mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250mls red wine, vegan if required
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500mls vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 400g tin green lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 270 g dried spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese (vegan, veggie or normal)
- Heat a large saucepan to a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chopped carrot, celery and onion to the pan. Saute for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and are beginning to turn translucent.
- Throw in the mushrooms and saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have released some of their water, then add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and soy sauce, bring to a boil and the reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the tomato puree and stir it in then add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and bay leaves. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the lentils and cook for a further 5 minutes to warm through. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- Serve the spaghetti in a bowl topped with spoonfuls of the bolognese sauce. Top with Parmesan and enjoy!
Keywords: Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese, Vegan Pasta Recipe