This is my take on a classic vegetarian Moroccan stew – the tagine. Filled with chickpeas, carrot and butternut squash then flavoured with warming spices, honey and preserved lemons. Perfect for Meatless Monday and so tasty!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 300 grams butternut squash, diced
- 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped (I use Belazu Beldi Preserved Lemons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 500 grams passata
- 250 millilitres water, boiled
- 1 tin of chickpeas, liquid drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt to taste
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
To serve (optional)
- Chopped mint
- Crumbled feta
- Pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a tagine pot (use a heat diffuser under the tagine) or a heavy-bottomed casserole pot. Saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot and squash to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the preserved lemons, passata and the water. Pop the lid on and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan, then put the lid back on and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes. The tagine should be thick and the vegetables should be tender when it is done.
- Add the spinach to the pan and stir it in until it has wilted.
- Stir in the honey, taste and add salt as required. Serve the tagine alongside fluffy couscous, then top with mint, feta and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
- If you can’t get a hold of preserved lemons, substitute one preserved lemon for a teaspoon of lemon zest and a good pinch of salt.
Keywords: Moroccan Vegetable Tagine, Vegetarian Tagine, Moroccan Stew Recipe, Moroccan Recipe, Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas