This vegetarian dinner recipe is filled with crispy, fried halloumi, roast carrots, chickpeas and giant couscous, then flavoured with orange and cumin. It is a hearty, nutritious meal that is full of flavour and a great weeknight dinner recipe!
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 400 gram tin chickpeas
- 100 grams cavolo nero or kale, sliced
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- 100 grams Merchant Gourmet Wholewheat Giant Couscous or any type of pearl couscous
- 250 milliliters water
- 150 grams halloumi, sliced
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- In a roasting dish mix the carrots with the cumin seeds, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out evenly and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add in the chickpeas and 1/2 the orange juice then pop back into the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- While the carrots and chickpeas are roasting, prepare the couscous (see notes).
Add the water and orange zest to the saucepan and bring it to the boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer and half covering with a lid. Cook the couscous for 15-18 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the couscous has softened.
- Add the cavolo nero or kale to the roasting dish alongside the carrots and chickpeas and roast for a further 5-8 minutes while you fry the halloumi.
- Heat a cast-iron frying pan on a medium-high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Fry the halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side until it develops a golden-brown crust.
- To serve, mix the cooked couscous in with the roasted carrots, chickpeas and cavolo nero along with the remaining orange juice and zest and the chopped coriander. Pop it all into big dishes with the halloumi on top and enjoy!
- Optional: toasting the couscous.
Toasting the pearl couscous grains before cooking in water gives the couscous a nutty flavour which compliments the other ingredients in this recipe beautifully!
Over a medium heat warm a splash of oil in a saucepan. Toast the pearl couscous in the oil for 2-3 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown in colour. Then add the water and continue to cook as per the packet instructions.
- You could also use the smaller grain Moroccan couscous in place of pearl couscous. However you wouldn’t need to toast the grains first, just cook as per packet instructions.
Keywords: Halloumi Recipes, Fried Halloumi Recipe, Fried Halloumi, Roast Carrot, Chickpea Recipe, Couscous Recipe, Chickpea Couscous, Vegetarian Dinner Recipe, Weeknight Dinner Recipe