This easy Shakshuka recipe is the perfect Sunday Brunch Idea. Full of chorizo, garlic, fennel seed, chilli and kale – and also full of flavour!
- 100 grams chorizo, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 handfuls kale, sliced
- 2 tins plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of sugar to taste
- 4 eggs
To serve (optional
- Toasted bread
- Chopped parsley
- Heat a lidded frying pan to a medium heat (see notes). Add the chorizo and fry for 3-5 minutes until crispy.
- Add the garlic, fennel seed and chilli flakes and saute for one minute, then add the kale and tinned plum tomatoes. Use a fork or wooden spoon to squash the tomatoes and break them apart. Leave the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes until it has thickened up.
- Taste the sauce and add salt, pepper and sugar as required.
- Turn the heat onto the lowest setting. Using a wooden spoon make 4 holes in the sauce. Carefully crack each egg into a hole. Put the lid on top the pan and leave to cook for 8-10 minutes, checking regularly towards the end to make sure the eggs do not overcook. The eggs are cooked when the whites are opaque and have firmed up.
- Serve the shakshuka alongside slices of bread to dunk in. Enjoy!
- If you don’t have a lidded frying pan, use a heat-safe plate that is large enough to cover your pan instead.
Keywords: Easy Shakshuka Recipe, Shakshuka, Brunch Recipe, Egg Breakfast