This recipe for crispy smashed potatoes is so easy you’ll be making it as a side dish for every meal! Served alongside the potatoes is a mint and feta dip – a creamy and tangy yoghurt sauce, perfect for dipping crispy smashed potatoes into! Both the smashed potatoes and the feta dipping sauce pair wonderfully with lamb, making them a great Easter side dish – but they go well with pretty much any other meat dish too!
Elizabeth Chloe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
There are about a thousand reasons why you’ll never find me on a low carb diet – but the main one? Potatoes. I love potatoes, in all of their wonderful shapes and sizes. While fries are my favourite, roast potatoes come in at a close second. Or at least they did. Right up until I discovered smashed potatoes. And wow. What a difference a little bit of smashing does!
By smashing cooked potatoes, using either a fish slice or a potato masher, you break apart the potato skin and expose the fluffy insides. Roast them with a little oil, salt and pepper and you start to develop lots of crispy crunchy bits on the potatoes, while still keeping lots of soft fluffy potato on the inside. They are so moreish it’s easy to eat the entire batch without even thinking about it.
We should probably take a minute to talk about that mint and feta dip too because it’s definitely competing with those potatoes for the star of the show. It’s a super simple combination of feta, chopped mint, natural yoghurt, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. The result? An awesome sauce that is both creamy and cooling while also being tangy and salty. The crispy smashed potatoes go SO well with it, but you could dunk all sorts in, like fries or veggie crudites, potato chips or chicken wings. SO MANY CHOICES!
How to make Smashed Potatoes with Mint & Feta Dip
Start by cooking your potatoes, whole, in boiling water for approximately 20 minutes until they are tender. Drain them and allow any excess water to evaporate.
Toss the potatoes with a tablespoon of oil then use a fish slice or potato masher to squash them until they are around 1 cm thick.
Drizzle the smashed potatoes with more oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, then pop them in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
Combine the feta, mint, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a bowl. For a smoother sauce you could use a food processor.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve alongside the mint and feta dip. Enjoy!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Mint and Feta Dip FAQ
Allow the smashed potatoes to cool at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours. Transfer them to an air-tight Tupperware container and consume within 4-5 days.
Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Transfer the smashed potatoes to a baking tray and pop them into the oven for 15 or so minutes, until they are fully warmed through. If they begin to look a little too crispy, cover them with a layer of tin foil during cooking.
Alternatively, you could use your microwave to reheat the potatoes. Cook time will vary depending on the power of your microwave.
While these smashed potatoes are particularly good as they are, with just the feta dip for company, they also go with all sorts of main meals. Both the potatoes and the dip go extremely well with lamb and are the perfect Easter side dish. As well as lamb you could also serve them alongside chicken, pork, beef, salmon or mackerel. Smashed potatoes and feta dip would be great as part of a BBQ spread or perhaps as a game day snack. It’s a super versatile recipe that can be used in all sorts of situations!
If you like this recipe you might also like…
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shanks with Spiced Chickpea Stew
- Simple Mustard Lentil Stew Recipe
- Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables with Mixed Grains and Feta
- Minted Pea Puree Tartine with Prawns, Feta and Pomegranate
- Spinach and Feta Mashed Potatoes from Budget Bytes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Mint and Feta Dip
Let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a rating and a comment!
You can also follow over on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter. Come and say hi and hashtag any recipe snaps with #elizabethchloerecipes.
For a weekly update of new recipes and blog posts, you can subscribe to the
These crispy smashed potatoes are perfect when dunked into creamy mint and feta dip. Smashed potatoes are so easy to make, plus they’re a great side dish to any meat or fish!
- 500 grams new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the mint and feta dip
- 100 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 10 grams mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, until they are completely tender.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Drain away the water and transfer the potatoes to a baking tray. Toss the potatoes in 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Use a fish slice or potato masher to squash the potatoes until they are around 1cm in thickness. Arrange the potatoes on the baking tray so they are evenly spaced and not touching. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and the remaining tablespoon of oil. Transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
- To make the mint and feta dip combine the crumbled feta, chopped mint, yoghurt and lemon juice in a bowl. Use a fork to breakdown the feta cheese if you would prefer a smoother sauce. Alternatively, you can blend the dip in a food processor for a completely smooth sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- The potatoes are done when they are golden brown and crispy around the edges. Serve them alongside a bowl of the feta dip and enjoy!
Keywords: Smashed Potatoes, Crispy Smashed Potatoes, Feta Dip, Mint and Feta Dip, Side Dish, Easter Side Dish