Sweet, roasted butternut squash is combined with quinoa, chickpeas, apple, kale, walnuts and a maple, mustard dressing in this delicious vegan, Autumn salad!
- 500 grams butternut squash, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 200 grams quinoa
- 100 grams kale, sliced
- 60 grams walnuts, chopped
- 1 apple, cut into matchsticks
For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2.5 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons mustard (I use a combination of Dijon mustard and wholegrain mustard, use one or both)
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Add your butternut squash to a roasting dish with the oil, salt, pepper and sage. Roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of cooking turn the squash and add the chickpeas to the tray. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the squash is cooked through and has developed some caramelisation add the kale to the pan and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until it has wilted slightly.
- To toast the walnuts add them to a frying pan on a medium-low for a 2-3 minutes. They are done when they have turned a golden brown colour. Make sure to keep a close eye as they can burn quickly!
- Combine the roasted veggies with the quinoa, apple, toasted walnuts and dressing. Toss everything together.
- Serve the salad in bowls. If you have any leftover dressing or walnuts, use them as a garnish on top!
- If you are not vegan you could use honey in place of the maple syrup in this recipe.
Keywords: Roasted Butternut Squash, Butternut Squash Salad, Butternut Squash Recipes, Butternut Squash Quinoa, Butternut Squash Apple