This roasted butternut squash salad with quinoa and apple is filled with all your favourite Autumn ingredients. Sweet roasted squash is tossed with crunchy apple, toasted walnuts, chickpeas, kale and quinoa, as well as a maple mustard dressing. Not only is this squash and quinoa salad packed with nutritional ingredients, but it’s also vegan-friendly! You can serve it exactly as it is or use it as a side dish to something like chicken or pork.
Elizabeth Chloe is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
- Roast Butternut Squash Salad FAQ
- Over on Instagram…
- Recipes You Might Also Like…
- How to Make Roast Butternut Squash Salad with Quinoa and Apple
Ok, so I know the thought of eating a salad in Autumn isn’t always the most appealing. Where’s my comfort food at, amIright? BUT, hear me out on this one, ok?
This roasted butternut squash salad isn’t just your standard, run-of-the-mill green salad. We’re talking sweet roasted butternut squash, roasted chickpeas, toasted walnuts, fresh, crunchy apple and some kale for good measure, all tossed through a base of quinoa. For the
pièce de résistance we’ve got a wonderful garlicky, mustardy maple dressing that ties everything together and lifts this dish to whole new levels of deliciousness.
The fact that this salad is served warm makes it all the more satisfying as the weather turns colder and the nights grow darker. At a time when my body is craving nothing more than beige foods (pasta and potatoes, I’m looking at you) this salad kind of makes me feel like I’ve got my life together. I feel like I’m meeting my fruit and veggie quota in a single meal. And I’m doing it in the tastiest way possible.
For my vegan guys and gals, this one is for you. This recipe is completely vegan as we’ve opted for maple syrup in the dressing instead of honey. Just make sure the mustard you’re using is definitely vegan and you’re good to go.
I like to serve this squash and apple salad exactly as it is, but it also works wonderfully as a side dish to chicken or pork. Serve it warm or cold, have it for lunch or dinner. It’s as versatile as you want to make it!
Roast Butternut Squash Salad FAQ
Allow the squash salad to cool at room temperature for no more than 2 hours. Transfer into an air-tight Tupperware container and pop into the fridge. Consume within 3-4 days.
This salad is not appropriate for freezing as the both the kale and apple would lose their texture and become mushy.
This butternut quinoa salad is best served fresh, and leftovers are best eaten cold to preserve the texture of the apple and kale.
However, this can be reheated if you so wish. Transfer the food to a microwave-safe container and pop into the microwave for 2-3 minutes until hot all the way through. The length of cooking time with depend on the strength of your microwave. Please bear in mind that reheating will affect the texture of some of the ingredients.
While the fresh ingredients in this salad are gluten-free please make sure ingredients such as the mustard you use are gluten-free to ensure this recipe is suitable for those with coeliac disease and gluten sensitivity.
This butternut squash and quinoa salad can be served on its own or used and a side dish. It works particularly well with chicken and pork but can go alongside any meat or fish you choose.
Over on Instagram…
Recipes You Might Also Like…
- Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Celeriac and Apple
- Roast Butternut Squash with Raisin Pesto and Couscous
- Nut-Free Quinoa Granola
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Mint and Feta Dip
- Feel-Good Fall Salad from Gimme Some Oven
How to Make Roast Butternut Squash Salad with Quinoa and Apple
Let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a rating and a comment!
You can also follow over on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter. Come and say hi and hashtag any recipe snaps with #elizabethchloerecipes.
For a weekly update of new recipes and blog posts, you can subscribe to the
Sweet, roasted butternut squash is combined with quinoa, chickpeas, apple, kale, walnuts and a maple, mustard dressing in this delicious vegan, Autumn salad!
- 500 grams butternut squash, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 200 grams quinoa
- 100 grams kale, sliced
- 60 grams walnuts, chopped
- 1 apple, cut into matchsticks
For the Dressing:
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Add your butternut squash to a roasting dish with the oil, salt, pepper and sage. Roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of cooking turn the squash and add the chickpeas to the tray. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the squash is cooked through and has developed some caramelisation add the kale to the pan and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until it has wilted slightly.
- To toast the walnuts add them to a frying pan on a medium-low for a 2-3 minutes. They are done when they have turned a golden brown colour. Make sure to keep a close eye as they can burn quickly!
- Combine the roasted veggies with the quinoa, apple, toasted walnuts and dressing. Toss everything together.
- Serve the salad in bowls. If you have any leftover dressing or walnuts, use them as a garnish on top!
- If you are not vegan you could use honey in place of the maple syrup in this recipe.
Keywords: Roasted Butternut Squash, Butternut Squash Salad, Butternut Squash Recipes, Butternut Squash Quinoa, Butternut Squash Apple